The Würzburg Residence is a magnificent palace and one of the greatest in Southern Germany, built between 1720 and 1744.
It is a remarkable example of Baroque architecture. Initially designed for the Prince-Bishop Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn, the palace would become the residence of all subsequent Prince-Bishops of Würzburg.
For the purpose, the young and then-unknown German architect Balthasar Neumann (1687-1753) was commissioned. His work was supervised by the architects Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt of Vienna and Maximilian von Welsch of Mainz.
Although German Baroque style prevails in the architecture of the massive building, its design was also influenced by French château architecture and the Imperial Baroque style of Vienna.
To construct the mesmerizing Würzburg Residence cost an estimated 1.5 million florins, which was a huge amount of money — for comparison, a laborer earned only one florin per week.
Considering the small fortune spent on its construction, it was no surprise that the residence became one of the most impressive palaces in Europe during the 18th century, described by Napoleon himself as the “nicest parsonage in Europe.”
The episcopal principality was abolished in 1802, during the large-scale mediatisation that occurred in Germany.
The residence, together with all other properties of the church, were confiscated. Today, the remarkable palace is open to visitors.
The interior of the residence was completed in 1780 with the finest furniture, impressive frescoes, and fancy tapestries.
Many artist and artisans from across Europe were involved in the process. Of all the exquisite rooms in the palace, only 40 are open to the public.
The focal points of the extravagant palace are Neumann’s impressive staircase and the fresco above it.
It was painted between 1751 and 1753 by the greatest Italian Rococo painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo and is the world’s largest ceiling fresco, measuring 7,287 square feet. The fresco depicts the four continents that were familiar at the time: Europe, America, Africa, and Asia.
The Northern Imperial Apartments and Southern Imperial Apartments were luxuriously furnished and decorated by Prince-Bishop Friedrich Carl von Schönborn with rich tapestries and gilded stucco work.
The most striking room in the Northern Apartments is the Green Lacquered Room, while in the Southern Apartments there is a marvelous room covered with mirrors called the Mirror Cabinet, modeled after the Hall of Mirrors in Versailles.
In the center of the residence is the most lavishly decorated room, with an enormous oval dome and 20 half columns in red stucco work. This is the Imperial Hall, or Kaisersaal.
The glittering hall was designed to impress, especially the ceiling, which is painted with three frescoes by Tiepolo.
The White Hall is the only room in the palace designed to contrast all the others, as it is supported by 12 marble columns and features impressive Rococo stucco tracery by the Swiss-born stucco artist Antonio Bossi.
The Hall’s ceiling is decorated with frescoes by German painter Johan Zick, representing Diana Resting and The Feast of the Gods.
The residence also has a small but lavishly decorated chapel (Hofkirche) with paintings by Tiepolo, stucco and marble sculptures, and altars designed by Austrian architect Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt.
The chapel is among the best-preserved 18th century religious buildings in Germany.
The Baroque palace is surrounded by splendid gardens that were initially designed in the mid-18th century by garden designer Johann Prokop Mayer, commissioned by Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim.
The gardens were restored and today they feature thousands of flower and plant species, sculptures designed by Johann Peter Wagner, ponds, and fountains.
The Würzburg Residence was seriously damaged in 1945 by an air raid, though luckily the White Hall, the Imperial Hall, Neumann’s staircase and Tiepolo’s frescos were undamaged.
After a restoration that cost around 20 million euros, the residence and gardens were restored to their former glory and were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1981.